Saturday, August 25, 2007

Lightening, Thunder, and War

I was putting my youngest son, Christian, to bed tonight in the midst of a major thunderstorm. I'm talking about the type of thunderstorm where the lightning strikes and mili-seconds later there a a crash that shakes the house. I was sitting there trying to comfort him and put him to bed, and I got to thinking about those in war torn countries.

For me the explosion sounds around me were just from lightening and thunder, but there are many places throughout the world where the sound of explosions are a daily and sometimes even more frequent occurance as a result of war and sectarian violence. People live in fear for their lives, not knowing if the next explosion might be a little closer to home. Much like the inability to control where lightening crashes, they have no ability to control the chaotic state of affairs around them.

There is no resolve here, just in a very small sense a small insight into the fear so many in our world live in. I cannot imagine living in such a war torn state, but yet many of our brothers and sisters live it daily.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."
Jesus in the gospel of Matthew